vrijdag 31 januari 2020

Brexit

I don't believe the EU is perfect, or even good. There is too much wrong with it. But leaving the EU is just destroying an imperfect thing that could have been repaired, improved. It's vandalism of a childish and dangerous kind. What the EU is, aside from a less than democratically transparent series of treaties and procedures, is a community of political and governmental norms, procedures, goals and values. We share values and try to figure out how best to guard them. Deserting will in no way help.

I feel very sorry for my British friends and I'm horrified with the thought of how I would feel if I were in your situation. I'm sure not much will change for us personally, but I realise you'll have to live as a citizen of a country that is not part of the community that protects us and makes our lives quite easy.

All the best.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten